Tuesday, October 21, 2008

For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning...

A preacher often needs time and space to sort out the things that are in his head. Some do this by talking to their wives. Some do this by silent meditation. Still others do it by heading out and playing golf. My particular "comfort zone," if you will, is usually in writing. Or, at least, in trying to do something creative online.

I guess every religious blog for one reason or another has to have a "purpose statement" as a first post. It's going to be tradition in twenty years, I imagine, if blogs and/or the Earth are still around. The problem is that I don't want to limit this blog's purpose. I'd like for it to be a place where (once they find me) I can pick the brains of other preachers on certain topics. I'd also like it be--if the members of our congregation are willing to participate--a place online where members can pick MY brain. (Careful, there's not much left!) And then, also, I hope it will be a place where I can post things that are helpful and encouraging to you that can assist you in your own spiritual walks.

That being said, I reserve the right to go off on any tangent that my whim takes me upon on any given day.

Alright, now that we've got that out of the way...

Today I wanted to start sharing with you something that was uplifting to me in my childhood. My parents always wanted to keep the Bible fresh in our minds, and one way they did so was to have an audio Bible around. The theory--a well-founded one, I might add--was that if we couldn't be bothered to read the Bible, then perhaps we'd have an easier time listening to it being read.

My dad always preferred the records of Alexander Scourby. For those of you who might not be aware, Scourby was an actor of note back in the 40's and 50's. He was the first person ever to record the whole Bible on any sort of audio media. I grew up listening to his gentle British baritone reading the words of the gospels to me.

Now, hopefully, barring any copyright limitations, you can too.

I was out and about earlier this week, and I noticed a Scourby record set in a thrift store. It was, I believe, the original 1944 set, which was recorded by him for the American Foundation for the Blind. The records themselves are encoded at 16 2/3 RPM, which hasn't been used for years. (Most current record players have settings for 33 and 45.) The box is brittle, but the discs themselves have been well kept. I have run the recordings through several filters on the computer, and I have what I think to be a pretty accurate restoration.

In any case, my plan is to post one of these files per week for download. My hope is that each of you will take this, put it in your iPod or burn it to CD, take it to work with you, take it on vacation with you, and listen to it whenever you have the time. The Lord's words can only help each of us.

Download by clicking on Matthew 1-7.

And last thing: I really would like any of you who visit or read to comment on any blog posts you may have something to contribute to. For the moment, I will leave them unmoderated, as I trust that everyone can behave themselves in a seemly manner. I am, however, employing a CAPTCHA code to keep ads and spam out of our way.

God bless!

No comments: