Monday, January 5, 2009

Submit yourselves therefore to God...

The following was my response to a Calvinist who talked about "accepting Jesus into his heart." I thought I'd post it here as well.

I have a problem with the concept of US accepting JESUS. In my view, there is no place in the scripture which asks us to "accept" Christ. That's a worldly point of view. In fact, I feel like it's somewhat arrogant and presumptuous of any lowly human to feel that it's even his place to "accept Christ," as though we're picking and choosing saviors that meet our own style and wants. I do believe that's how a lot of the world looks at it, but it's simply not so. I mean, think about it... Christ was an innocent man (and he was also God to boot) and yet he gave himself to be cruelly and brutally murdered for the sins of the world at a time where he could've just chosen to call ten legions of angels and be done with it all. Does a guy like that deserve my "acceptance"??? No, he commands my full and unconditional OBEDIENCE, and if God didn't offer me heaven or any other reward for that obedience, I WOULD STILL OWE IT. I, a sinner, don't even get to rise to the level where I can deign to "accept" Christ. I simply owe him my allegiance and full servitude.

Christ accepts US, not the other way around. Saying that we "accept" Christ into OUR lives is wrong-headed. When we become Christians, we are not simply adding on a room for Jesus. We are supposed to be GIVING our lives to Him for His acceptance! I have trouble with this self-centered version of Christianity where Christ does this and that for us, we ever so graciously accept Him, doing lip service to him as our busy lives permit, and we give nothing of ourselves in return. I realize that this appeals to the worldliness and ego of many people who aren't willing to have anything to do with Christ if he doesn't fit THEIR wants, but simply we are asked to obey his commandments to show that we love him (John 14:15).

Those commandments aren't grievous, and essential to salvation (1 Pet. 3:21) is baptism (Acts 2:38). That is not "accepting Jesus." That is obeying His commands. "Accepting Jesus" is nowhere to be found in the Scripture.

I think the better word would be "submit." "Acceptance" implies that we're meeting Jesus on our terms, when in actuality Jesus calls us to submit to him on his terms and based on his commandments (which is especially emphasized in John 14:15--"If ye love me, keep my commandments." ) Jesus does not force his way in; he stands waiting at the door for us to come to him and join his body by our submission and obedience to his commandments. Everything is prepared, but it is our responsibility to follow the simple and non-grievous commands which Jesus has laid out in obedience to him. Otherwise, we do not truly love him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this, Jamey. I sent it to the Mary and Martha ladies, and they appreciated it, since it presented some ideas some had not before considered.